Hit a training plateau? What can you do? Beginners gains - we've all gone through it. Starting a new type of training, figuring out how much you can lift, how far you can push yourself...we have all gone through that 6 months where all we see is gains gains gains. It's amazing. Based on ‘beginners gains’ you can work out that at this rate of progress, you should probably be on the podium at the Crossfit games within 2-3 years. Awesome. Unfortunately this rate of progress doesn't last. We will all hit our training plateau. Whether it's a stall in weight loss, not being able to add anymore weight to a lift, or not being able to beat a workout time, it can be frustrating and confusing. Firstly, you need to figure out why you have hit your plateau. Are you eating right, getting enough sleep, or are you overtraining ? Secondly, what do you do ?
- Quit? 'Yeah Crossfit used to be good but now it's rubbish'
- Keep training as you are, and be happy with where you're at without expecting to improve too much more
- Burst through your plateau
- Get more sleep
- Take 5 days off training completely, and come back with more motivation to hit your goals
- Always have a new goal. Be happy with your achievements, have your reward then look forward to hitting the next one
- Make sure you're eating right. Fuel your body with everything that it needs
- Get some PT sessions. Book a small amount of PT sessions. Do 1 every week or even every 2 weeks to complement your classes. You'll be able to go through exactly what you want to get better at with your coach, and they will be able to help you burst through your plateau