The squat is probably the most performed movement in CrossFit and is one of the first exercises that you will be introduced to when entering the world of fitness. Everyone has a different squat depending on how they are built and how mobile/flexible they are. We can’t change the way we are built to improve our squat, but what we can do is to improve the squat mechanics by working on joint mobility and strength.
Some will say that the squat is king of all exercises and it’s a movement that we are constantly exposed to in our daily life. When looking at the squat and reviewing which mobility exercises to implement you must first understand which joints are moving in this particular movement. We are mainly looking at the ankles, knees and hips. Therefore, the mobility work needs to loosen up tightness and make these joints move smoothly with good range of motion to have a good squat.
I have shared with you my favourite mobility exercises that I recommend you performing as a warm up before squatting:
1) Shin box rotations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wZ-R7Kkuiw
2) Deep squat into hamstring stretch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTK709M7Fbo
3) Bottom of squat flow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_JfXUl3t24
4) Duck walk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TbqWEntvOE
5) Cossack squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mIxETTArss
6) Hip extension on box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwXrON01YRU
By: Andre Houdet, InnerFight Performance Coach, Mobility Specialist