Who doesn’t enjoy a good tasty sauce with their barbecued meats? Unfortunately, most of the sauces readily available are chock full of sugars, gluten, preservatives and other nasties that you don’t want to eat or give to your kids. This Paleo Spicy BBQ recipe is super easy to whip up and keeps well in the fridge. It does have a little kick to it, so dial back the chili powder and cayenne pepper if it’s too spicy. I’ve used it to baste on slow cooked oven ribs too, and it worked a treat.
- 3 cups tomato passata
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika (Make sure it’s smoked for that genuine BBQ flavour!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (If you can’t get your hands on coconut aminos, just use tamari)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Black pepper, to taste
Makes approximately three cups
- Add all ingredients together in a pot and stir together.
- Bring to bubbling and then lower heat to a very gentle simmer.
- Half cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Pop in a jar and keep in the fridge.
By Holly Purdy, InnerFight Foodie