All of our awesome recipes are kindly supplied by Smith St Paleo.
I’ve got a lover-ly bunch of coconuts…well at least I used to until Crossfit stole them. But that’s another story. I do like coconut though. And seeing as coconut is the main ingredient in macaroons, well I like those too. What?? You’re buying them from the store? Get your shit together and make these.
- 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup pistachio meal
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup honey
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of lemon quarter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and combine.
- Make mounds of the mixture on the lined tray. I used a cookie dough scoop (it looks like a mini ice cream scoop with a little lever) which made it super easy. You could try using 2 spoons or just make the mounds with your hands. The mixture needs to be compacted though so the macaroons stay together for both the baking and the eating. The mounds should be around 2 tablespoons of mixture each.
- Bake for 15 minutes until slightly browned.
- Let them cool completely on a rack.
TIP- can’t find pistachio meal? Make your own in a food processor out of shelled pistachios. Or use almond meal and give these suckers a new name. Easy.
For more yummy, healthy recipes hop over to Smith St Paleo.