All of our awesome recipes are kindly supplied by Smith St Paleo.
Gemista from another mister. The ingredients list looks long, but I promise once the veg is prepped these are a breeze to knock together. And guess what? It’s vegan! So if you’ve jumped on that bandwagon after you watched some train wreck of a documentary on Netflix or you wanted to use the little green plant emoji on your instagram bio because it seems to be what the cool kids are doing (or the annoying ones), then you’ll want to add these guys to your repertoire, stat.
- 8 capsicums
- 1/2 head cauliflower (500g of florets), riced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Small handful chopped fresh dill
- Small handful chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 25g pine seeds (about 2 tablespoons)
- 30g sultanas (2 tablespoons)
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil to sauté
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Prepare all your veg. Cut through the capsicum to make a lid, and deseed. Set aside.
- Rice your cauliflower, grate your carrot, chop your herbs and crush your garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic. Add the carrot and sultanas and continue to sauté until the sultanas soften.
- Add the cauliflower rice and mix through. Pour in the tomatoes, tomato paste and mix through. Simmer for a few minutes, then add herbs and pine seeds, lemon zest and juice and all the spices, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly then remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into the cavities of the capsicums. Replace the little lids, and place in an oven safe dish. Cover with lid or tightly with 2 pieces of foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
- Serve hot or room temperature
For more yummy, healthy recipes hop over to Smith St Paleo.